Hamilton, NJ 08619
- Hours: Fine dining 5:30 to 11 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday; Kafe Kabul 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday, 11:30 to 9 p.m. Wednesday through Friday, 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 5:15 to 9 p.m. Saturday and 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday; brunch 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 1:45 to 3 p.m. Sunday.
- Cuisine: French
- Meals Served: Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, and Sunday Brunch
- Price Range: $$$$$ ($31 & up)
- Reservations: Required
- Alcohol: Full Bar and Wine
- Restaurant Style: Fine Dining
Rat's, considered by many to be one of New Jersey's best restaurants, was founded by sculptor J. Seward Johnson at Hamilton's 35-acre Grounds for Sculpture. The restaurant's own grounds are an extension of the park, and the landscaping, architecture and Johnson's own sculptures lend a magical atmosphere to the place. The fantasy-land feel continues in the restaurant's interior, where rough-hewn, rustic wood walls and rich upholstery recall the fictional home of the ever-gracious host Rat from Kenneth Grahame's famous book, "The Wind in the Willows," for whom Rat's is named.
The cuisine, described as being created in a "well-traveled French kitchen," is epic, as is the wine list. The restaurant frequently offers prix fixe menus made up of multiple courses paired by a sommelier with interesting and unusual vino choices. Impeccable service from start to finish is the icing on the cake.
The restaurant's Kafe Kabul offers a more casual version of the menu in an exotic Middle Eastern atmosphere. There is also a prix fixe brunch served on Sundays.
The experience of dining at Rat's doesn't come cheap, but if you're looking for a venue for an extraordinary night out, the restaurant should make your short list.
Recent User Playlists
Seriously awesome restaurants in the Garden State for when you want to splurge on dinner.